Here are some books, websites, videos, and other resources that I vouch for. These are sources that are highly credible, or that do an excellent job of pulling together and communicating information from diverse – and highly credible – sources. Sometimes they will make you see things in a more complete, more honest, and perhaps less flattering light.
I have also written a more thorough description of these resources, my personal journey, and how these books, vidoes and websites can help you sift the climate wheat from the chaff..
You should know that I make money from some items. Clicking-through and then purchasing an item from Amazon, for example, earns me a few pennies. I don’t see a problem making money from something I believe in. There are also resources which pay nothing; my goal is to provide you with the best resources, ones that have helped me learn and grow. If I can make a bit of money from one, great. If not, also fine.
- RealClimate – A site about climate science written by real climate scientists. I have interviewed one of them, Dr. Gavin Schmidt. The site was enormously helpful to me when I was sceptical, and I still drop in occasionally.
- The Guardian Environment section – An excellent source for the latest news and analysis on climate change and environmental issues.
- The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century – Great analysis by James Howard Kunstler
- Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed – Jared Diamond’s influential look at the collapse of various civilisations throughout history, and the lessons they hold for us; a common theme was the blindness of leaders
- Heat: How to Stop the Planet From Burning – George Monbiot’s thorough investigation into the reality of what we must do to prevent disastrous climate change
- Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization – Lester Brown’s latest plan to get us out of the mess we’re in; free download
- Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet – Mark Lynas scary-as-hell book detailing our projected future per degree of temperature rise; also available as a National Geographic video
- Climate Wars: How Peak Oil and the Climate Crisis Will Change Canada (and Our Lives) – Gwynne Dyer interviewed top experts, including the Pentagon, to determine what the future holds
Movies and Videos
- The Most Terrifying Video You’ll Ever See – YouTube video watched by millions that clearly shows why it makes no sense whatsoever to do nothing about the climate crisis
- The Corporation – Great Canadian movie that psychoanalyses the corporation as if it were a person; full of examples and the inevitable conclusion that corporations and psychopathic